Thursday, December 21, 2006

Phew...

What a day!

Brother arrives a day early from Russia, turns up at 8.30am to take Tiegan out. I explain that she can't be gone for long as we have to visit mum (it's her birthday today), and be back in time this afternoon for visitors. 11.15am we are still waiting, and it takes a phone call to get Tiegan back home.

We then went to my parents obviously later than planned. Did the birthday cards and gifts thing, and I messed up. When my brother dropped Tiegan off, he also left a big box, asking me to wrap it up for him. I asked whether it was for Birthday or Christmas, and he replied Christmas. Thinking it was for our mum, I asked nothing more. When at my parents, I questioned dad about the present my brother had asked him to get for mum. I queried whether it was for her birthday or christmas, as I had just been given a big box to wrap up for Christmas, and presumed that was for mum. Oh, in that case, we agreed that the other present dad had bought on behalf of my brother for mum must be for her birthday, so we gave it to her. WRONG!

When I got home, I went to wrap up the big box. I sneaked a peek (as you do) and was surprised to find a pair of snowboarding boots. Ooops, not for mum then!

I have managed to explain all to mum, and we had a laugh about it, so all okay.

Something we didn't laugh about, but instead shed tears about, was the sad news that a friend of ours (currently living in Australia) is dying of cancer. It is apparently in-operable, there is nothing they can do. He has been given 4 - 6 months to live. Shocked isn't the word.

We did manage to get home in time for our expected visitors, and what a joy it was to see them. Sad thoughts were put to the back of our minds, and we instead thoroughly enjoyed the visit and hearing their news :-) We can't wait to see them again in the new year.

Well, that's our eventful day all wrapped up. One that will be remembered with joy and much sadness and grief, rolled into one.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jules, so sorry to hear the news about your friend. That's such awfully sad news, particularly at this time of year.
    My thoughts are with your friend and his family, as well as with you all.

    x

    ReplyDelete