Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Preparing to get to work...

That's what I have spent much of today doing. Planning, writing, and going through the CD-Roms to check child / age suitability. We now have 3 working computers, including the laptop (and another that just needs a monitor), so no excuse for not putting them to good *educational* use.

I have got my planning book more or less just how I want it. No doubt it will be tweaked here and there as time goes by, but I'm happy with it for now. It is still incomplete in that I have resources to add to it, but the general outline is there.

Just in case anyone is interested in my "system", here is a brief explanation.

It starts life as a large page to a day diary. I then added a cover for no other reason than to make it more aesthetically appealing to the eye ;-)





I sat down with Chelsea and together we worked out what we wanted to cover over the year. We tried to break these down into a Geography Topic, a Science Topic, and a History Topic, plus a famous person to study per month. We will do at least half an hour of maths work per day, along with daily reading, and bible study. We didn't have to include those in our typed plan as they will be written on the pages of the diary. The children are also going to keep a written daily diary of what they get up to.

Obviously, nothing is set in stone, but I do like having something to work alongside, and this just seems perfect for the way we do things. If we fancy looking at something else, then we will do, but if we are stuck for ideas, we have the planning book to refer to.

The monthly topic plans are stapled to the 1st day of each month throughout the diary. (We have left August free for a break). An index card of our resources was then added so I can see at a glance what we have and what we need.









On the inside cover of the diary, I have put my (hopeful) daily routine, alongside bible verses I wish to aspire to.





Inside the back cover I have attached a plastic slip file to collect any loose papers I may need.

I have just printed out some Home-Ed contact ads, so I'm going to laminate them and put them around the village on the notice-boards and at the post-office. I'll look to see if there is a display board at the library where one could be posted too. It would be lovely to have more home-educators locally. I really like the idea of setting up a group for the area, so must get on organising that this year.

All in all, I am in a really positive frame of mind at the moment. I have had a wonderful few days with the children, just doing silly things like walking the dog and reading together, but I really feel as if we are getting back on track now and have high hopes for 2007.


*Edited to add*
Tagged by Sally...
Name three things:
That you had hanging on your tree:
- Tinsel
- Baubles
- Crackers that Joe made at Cub-Scouts

That you’ve eaten / drunk lots of:
- Too much Chocolate
- Too many mince pies
- Tea!

That you didn’t do this year but hope to do next year
- Have good friends around for a little get-together.
- Make some home-made gifts.
- Buy presents throughout the year instead of two weeks before the big day!

Favourite presents
- Ferrero Roche choccies
- Erm...that's all I got *blush*

That you’re glad you didn’t get for Christmas
- More perfume that I rarely remember to wear
- Underwear
- Socks!

People to tag.

- Anyone that wants to do it but hasn't already done so...consider yourself tagged :-D

8 comments:

  1. My goodness! That is serious organisation!
    I've tagged you on my blog, btw :-D
    best wishes
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serious and beautiful - I'm in awe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Jax, it keeps me happy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very impressed with the planning :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is very inspiring. I love seeing how other people work. Do you follow any kind of curriculum or do you set your own plans for who and what to learn? I must say you are far more organised than me. I really should be. I loved your scriptures from proverbs and psalms and have written them down to inspire myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Amanda :-) I love the planning bit, not too good at sticking to it. Hoping that will change this year!

    Hazel, no, I don't follow any curriculum, we set our own plans. I like the children to be involved in the decision making, so take the main direction from them. Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm so impressed - it looks wonderful!

    I like the idea of a Bible verse to aspire to (even though I'd class myself as Pagan - we do have a few Bibles here and they do hold inspiration for anyone, as to other religious teachings :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'm impressed.....:~)

    ReplyDelete