Sunday, July 01, 2007

Callum is 2

Where has the time gone? I can't believe the "baby" of the family is now 2 years old. I can't believe that it has been 2 years since Callum entered our world in dramatic fashion. I can't believe that it was 2 years ago that I was hanging out of my bedroom window looking (and praying!) that the midwife would come soon. 2 years ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy, at home, with no midwife.

The home birth had been planned this time around. Unlike Tiegan's birth when I was meant to be going to the local hospital but ended up giving birth at home. Fortunately that time the midwife had arrived literally just in time.

All through my 4th pregnancy I was definite I wanted a home-birth. I had loved the unplanned one so much (although would have probably loved it even more had the midwife had the time to get the gas and air out of the car...) I felt we could cover all angles this time, and there was no question of going into hospital except in an emergency of course. I started getting pains, and knew that things were starting to happen, so I phoned the maternity suite at the hospital only to be told that due to staff shortages I would have to go into hospital as there wasn't a midwife available. Trying to explain that I wouldn't make it to the hospital if my other births were anything to go by was of course fruitless, and the conversation ended with the person on the other end of the phone telling me that they would send out a midwife "just to check" on how things were doing. She really didn't think I could possibly be in labour, and it certainly wouldn't be that quick. It was the second time a midwife hasn't believed that I was in full blown labour, the same happened with Tiegan, hence why there was no time to get to the maternity unit.

I had to phone my parents to get them to come over and look after the children as we were having to go to hospital. Then it was just a case of waiting. The contraction pains were getting more severe and often, and I knew that baby wasn't going to wait. The phone rang and it was the hospital. I could have a home birth afterall as 2 ladies had since given birth and freed up a midwife. I explained that things were progressing to the extent I was feeling the need to push, but still got the feeling I wasn't believed. I felt that I was thought of as being a silly panicky mum in labour. I wasn't.

Then my waters broke, which in 3 of my labours has meant the immediate birth. So I struggled up to the bedroom and looked out of the window hoping that the midwife would arrive. My husband rang the hospital to give them an update and they ordered an ambulance. The thought of getting some pain relief kept me going. I was sure that I wouldn't have to go through a second birth without any. Then it happened, I needed to push and the baby's head was crowning. I lay on the bed and blanked everything out. I remember the worried look on my mum's face, and my husband frantically talking to the hospital on the phone. A couple of pushes and Callum was born. No midwife, no ambulance.

Everything was fine. The midwife arrived about 15 minutes too late, and the clear up operation began. We cancelled the ambulance.

At 7 hours old...
























Happy Birthday sweetheart, you bring joy to our lives everyday.

5 comments:

  1. Hope Callum has a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in an emotional mood today and reading that really made me happily tearful hun.
    You did so well with your labours and what an amazing family you've produced! :-)

    I'm sure Callum loves that Bob cuddly toy in the photo, lol.

    I hope he had a fabulous day...and that your bath isn't looking too colourful!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to read Jules. Brill piccies too. :-)

    Glad he enjoyed his day. Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous little chap he is and what a fab way to bring him into the world. It was a joy to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthing day!

    I delivered Ash in a similar way...planned homebirth, phoned hospital and they didn't undertand how close I was..so DH did the midwives job. It's an amazing feeling though, isnt it? That moment when you realise that you are 'on your own' with the birth but that somehow everything is going to be alright. All in God's hands really :)

    Thankyou for your lovely post, this was indeed a tear inducer :)

    ReplyDelete