Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sniffle Sniffle.

Urgh, I've got a horrid horrid cold and I'm feeling aches and shivers all over. It's really not nice.

Today has been a little busy, but has been a whole lot better than yesterday, so for that I am very thankful.

I took Callum to another Mums and Toddlers group in the village this morning. It is one I have been to before (just the once), and I knew it was much busier than the group I went to yesterday. It was busy, very busy, but nice. Callum behaved like a dream again bless him, and I think if we give it a chance, we will make friends there. There were one or two friendly people, but I think it will take a while to become "accepted".

Dh took the role of child-carer and educator to the other 3 in my absence, and in great contrast to yesterday, I had happy faces greeting me on my return. The children had done all that I had asked them to do, and dh had even done the ironing! The children had done their maths, reading, and spelling practice. They have decided on a project topic each, and have listed what they wish to write/learn about. Chelsea had also written a poem about Home-Education. I shall ask her if I can put it on here. Pretty good going, and I was pleased to see that taking Callum to toddler groups regularly may well be workable.

Having being inspired by other blogs (thanks everyone), I now set aside 120 minutes each day to give one-to-one undivided attention to each of the children. Each child gets 30 minutes with me to do something of their choice; play games, read books, go for a walk, go to the park, chat, etc. Having individual time with each child is something I have always strived to do, but never actually set aside particular time for, meaning that I often failed. Hopefully that will change now. I've been surprised at how easy it has been to fit in just half an hour here or there when I'm organised enough to be able to think about it.

This afternoon we headed out to do our weekly shop at Tescos. I am very much enjoying our new routine of buying a weeks worth of food, milk, bread etc, instead of popping to the shop each day to buy dinner and the essentials. It is also much cheaper - £93 today, including a set of bathroom scales. We are eating loads healthier as I'm making things from scratch, and I think we are all feeling better for it.

Talking of healthier, I'm taking up running again. I used to run a great deal when I was younger, I was one of those annoying girls at school that grinned from ear to ear when cross-country running was mentioned for PE lessons. I used to love the mud, the tough terrain, the challenge. When I left school I continued running. Distance running was my love and I promised myself that one day I would do the London Marathon. I applied a couple of times but never got a place. Then the children came along. I was never organised enough (or bothered enough) to arrange childcare whilst I ran, so I gave it up and settled into a mother gives up everything (well not quite, but my running and horse-riding) to have children type of lifestyle. One year I did apply to the marathon again in the hope that should I be accepted the training would inspire me to run again, but I failed to get a place once more and my trainers were thrown away.

I've got a brand spanking new pair now. I've only tried them on in the house, but it felt stupidly good to have some running shoes on my feet again lol. Once I've got over this damn cold (typical timing) I will be out there once again, and who knows, I may still get to do that marathon one day afterall. I've got to be careful as I don't want to lose any weight. I need to sort out my food regime and will have to start eating breakfast and lunch, instead of just dinner each day.

I was hoping to go to the local home-ed photography group tomorrow, but I may have to give it a miss if I am still feeling like I do at the moment. I'm going to curl up under my blanket and try to get some sleep and see how I feel in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you soon feel better Jules.

    Enjoy the group tomorrow if you go.

    Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great West Run then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lin, and we didn't go to the group.

    Sarah...who knows!

    ReplyDelete