Thursday, August 27, 2009

{Busy Busy Busy}

Goodness, where is all my time vanishing off to? I have been really busy the past couple of days. Some of you will already know that I adore rats. I have rescued many of them over the years (we are talking about the fancy rat variety here, not wild rats, you can breathe again lol). Sadly, as happens to all little furry creatures, they have all passed over the bridge now and the heartbreak was too much. We lost all 9 within a few short months of each other, all down to old age, so quite expected really, but it doesn't ease the pain.

Anyway, I decided to take a break from rat ownership for a while, but now the desire to become a ratty mum has taken hold again so I have been a busy little bee putting together all the preparations.

My rats live in a huge cage called a furet tower. This can be split in half to make two large cages. As I'm only getting two rats (to start with...), I'm just going to use the top part of the cage. It currently looks like this...

The lighting was really bad when I took the photo and it makes it look like a really dull and dark place - it's not honestly!

As you can almost see from the picture, I've been very busy making hammocks and beds for my new babies - I've had so much fun, and it's been great sewing machine practice. I'm not actually getting the rats until November, and only then if the litter I'm waiting to be born goes well - I do like to be organised though! I'm such a kid when it comes to my animals lol. If anyone is interested I have uploaded some piccies of my past rats for people to see. Link is here...

Home-Education wise, well the past few days have been really good. The older two children have developed a sudden passion for the World Wars 1 and 2. This has led to lots of discussions (particularly with their dad and grandad, both are very knowledgeable on the subject - far more than I) and lots of google researching as well as heads in books. I have really loved listening to their conversations as they have discussed various thoughts on the subject. Sometimes listening to a childs perspective can be so enlightening. We have also been talking alot about what schools would label as Geography. I found an absolute bargain Usborne Geography book in a charity shop yesterday. The book is one of those internet linked ones and it is a really interesting read - the whole family have enjoyed looking at it, even Dad!

Tiegan has gone off to stay with my parents for a couple of days, so she is due back tomorrow. It is very odd not having all four children around, I don't like it much. I'm very much like a little mother hen counting her brood, when one is absent, it just feels wrong! Callum has spent most of his days blowing bubbles and talking about the Red Arrows we saw at Dawlish Air Show. The display certainly had a huge effect on Callum and our conversations have definitely been interesting since that interest has been sparked!

1 comment:

  1. Exciting news about the rats. Katie is still loving her two rats and has moments of making toys and hammocks for them two. It's quite disheartening when they start tearing the hammocks to pieces though - all that hard work (sewn by hand).

    Ben has suddenly taken an interest in the Red Arrows too - he's been checking out lots of videos on You Tube!

    ReplyDelete