Friday, May 28, 2010

Do-Nothingness...

Some days I just want to chill.  Some days I just want to relax and not do anything .  Some days I am kind to myself and do just that - well, apart from the usual - laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning etc *sigh*.   Today was one of those days when I didn't feel motivated enough to lift my bum up off the sofa.  I felt good, but lazy - which probably isn't so good eh?

I had no plan.  Nothing I wanted to accomplish.  No list to follow!!!

Q.  What happened on this day of pure unadulterated do-nothingness?

A.  We had a great day!

Joseph watched the film Pirates of the Caribbean on Wednesday night, and this has sparked a real interest in all things Pirate like.  We talked about the legends and the facts, discussed the Somali Pirates, and Joseph wanted to do more.  He found a pirate activity book that hasn't seen the light of day for years and excitedly went through it to find ideas.  I loved this.  Joseph very rarely (read as I can't remember the last time, it could easily be never), gets interested in doing anything arty or crafty.  It's just not 'his' thing, which is fine, but sometimes I wish he would join in with the rest of us - but that's my niggle to deal with, not his  What's more, Callum soon got interested  in what Joseph was reading, and I could soon hear two excited voices planning what they were going to make and create.  It was like music to my ears.

Meanwhile the girls did what my girls often do.  Tiegan was reading, so no surprise there.  Chelsea sat with me and we talked.  We talked about how her paper-round was going, events in the news, her plans for the day, and her excitement at joining the book club in June.  I love chatting with my children, just really sitting there and talking with no distractions.  I love being in the position where I can just sit down and listen.  I love that about our home-ed life.  I love the fact that I don't have to cram quality time together around school time, but instead have the time available to just stop what I'm doing and listen to what they have to say.   Just thinking about it makes me smile.

We had lunch and a visit from my brother, then headed off down to the park for some out of house time, ignoring the threatening clouds that kept re-occurring.  This time I remembered the camera, I'm so proud of myself *grin*.

Want to share our day?

We laughed...

Laughter

We ran...

Free to play

We climbed up...

Teamwork

and slid back down...

Going Down!

We played together...

Climbing

and explored alone...

steadily does it

Sadly, the grey clouds were soon upon us...

Grey Clouds

and we took those as our signal to leave - or at least try to. Chelsea discovered that 14 year olds and toddler swings don't mix...

The moment when Chelsea realised she was stuck...

She seeked help from higher beings...

She pleads for help from a higher being...

but when that failed, Joseph stepped in...

Joseph attempts to be of help...

He soon gave up, and I was told off for laughing and taking pictures...*giggle*

She tells me off for laughing...

Finally she breaks for freedom...yay!

freedom at last

I'm so glad, I had no tissues left for my tears of laughter by this time!

Joseph meanwhile,  tested the water...

Ohh it's cold!!!

Ooooh, it's cold!

But that didn't stop Callum wanting to follow in his big bro's footsteps. Neither stayed in the water too long though :)

No visit to the park is complete without a bit of brother bashing - quick hit and run...

every picture tells a story...

Tiegan just shrugs at their antics...

Having fun

and hugs a tree - much safer!

Little tree hugger

Joseph requested a visit to the library on the way home (yay! it's usually one of the girls that requests such an activity!) To my surprise (and delight) he wanted some more books about Pirates. He found 3, and happily declared that he is going to do a project on the subject, or maybe a lapbook. Hurray for child-led learning :)

We came home, enjoyed a cuppa and jam tart, and my lounge looked like this...

Reading

Yes, I know it's untidy, but hey - that's unprompted, child-led reading going on there. All four reading at the same time, that's almost unheard of in this household.  There is usually at least one child going off and doing his or her own thing :)

It was soon decided that the weather was just too nice to stay inside and we debated what we could do for the last hour before dinner. Scarecrow making won, so we gave it a go...

First a good stuffing...

Stuffing our Scarecrow

Then dressed for decency reasons...

Scarecrow under construction...

More photos of scarecrow under construction coming to a blog near you soon.

Dinner of quiche and salad followed, with cupcakes for pudding, yum.  Then family reading time.  We are currently reading Parvana's Journey as our chapter book and really enjoying it so far.

Hope your day has been as blessed as ours :) xx

3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic day!! Funny how the little things often make the most fun :)

    Loving the pics of Chelsea! I had a mental image after reading the FB post but the pics are soooooo much funnier. Thank you Chelsea for letting Mum share them x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really wished we lived near you guys, looks like you had a blast!
    Big Hugs
    San x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read "The Breadwinner" and "Parvana's Journey" a couple of years ago when they first came out. So shocking and sad, but such a great read, especially to help children engage in the human experience and walk in the shoes of a suffering group of people.

    ReplyDelete