Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Has it really been that long?

I can't believe that I haven't blogged since 22nd November, just where has the time gone?  I guess that's what happens when you go for a ride in the Tardis a little person joins the household...

So yet again I'm playing catch up, I just need to wrack my brain - yes really, I do have one, it's just hidden away for large chunks of the year.

Obviously Chelsea turned 15 somewhere along the line.  On November 23rd if memory serves me correctly ;)  I am now the proud owner of, slave to, taxi driver mother of a 15 year old.  And what a beautiful 15 year old she is, I am mighty proud of my not so little girl.  I somehow volunteered to make Chelsea's birthday cake again. For years I have cheated taken the sensible option of buying a cake.  For some reason - I can only blame a moment of insanity - last year I offered to make a cake to Chelsea's specification.  My instructions were simply to make a "goth-like" cake.  This is what I came up with...

2009 Cake:
Birthday Cake

Birthday cake

This year I got the same instruction - a "goth like" cake please mum. Hmmm....

So here is the 2010 version:

Chelsea's birthday cake

Madam Chelsea liked it, that's the main thing - and it was fun to make :)

Hmm, now let's think harder.  What else have we been up to...?

Just the usual sort of stuff really.  Library visits, trips to Dinosaur World, shopping, planning for Christmas, designing our Winter wall display (photos soon), lots of reading, project work, visiting lovely friends and being very spoilt by their hospitality.  I have decided to take up a new hobby (like I need another one I can hear you groaning...) and I bought myself a Needle Felting kit.  Sadly since buying it I haven't had the chance to put it to much use.  Taisia is a baby that likes to be cuddled, and she spends much of her time resembling a Koala bear.   Free-time to craft is rather a luxury I haven't been able to indulge in.  I am hoping she will start to settle and leave me hands-free very soon.  I'm really missing being creative. I've got unfinished knitting calling me, art that is begging to be painted, and now a felting needle longing to be experimented with - BUT I am loving having a gorgeous daughter to sit with, admire, talk to (she listens fabulously and rarely answers back), and just generally remind me of how very blessed and wonderful my life is.

Making a giant leap forward to today we have had a lovely day with fabulous friends, in my very favourite place.  I'm sure I've told you before about my love affair with Dartmoor.  The whole place is just amazing.  Over 300 miles jam-packed full of history, myth and legend.  It's every pore is oozing mystical appeal - the imagination is allowed to run wild and it isn't difficult to imagine pretty winged fairies and cheeky elves hiding behind rocks and trees.  It's a place that is truly awe inspiring, magical, scary and just darn right bloomin' fantastic.  Not sold on the place yet?  Maybe these photos will help.  How could you not fall in love with a place that look like this?

December Dartmoor

The view from Houndtor

On Houndtor

Houndtor View

Houndtor, Dartmoor

My little man had a lovely time - whilst the other three complained about the cold lol.

Fun

Callum

**Before anyone says anything about me not dressing up my littlies warm enough, Callum did have a hat on originally. He took it off and gave it to his dad to look after saying it was making him hot - so there :oP **

We explored the Medieval village remains...

Medieval Village Remains from Houndtor

Can you see where they are in that picture?

And we walked - up hills...

Leading the Troops

Follow the Leader

got worn out (chatting lots) and just generally enjoyed time with friends in a place we are extremely blessed to live close to  :)

8 comments:

  1. Dont know if this would work for you guys but, my friend has a 9mth old and she has worn her in the sling throughout the day which has left her reasonably hands free most of the time.
    There were times when she was little when my friend would stand with her in the sling and be knitting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, i would dearly love to visit, although I will freely admit to having a preference for warmer months, it looks freezing!!
    I absoloutely love your cakes, they are amazing! I met my hubbie in a goth pub, so I love all things gothic, lol! I truly don't know how you find the time or energy to fit in all you do, my fifth baby totally floored me for a goodly while. I'm looking forward to seeing your winter wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piccies Julia.

    We got a beginners needle felting kit recently and I ordered some more needles and foam pads, all of us like to have a go, just doing basic shapes etc but I ordered a book of needle felting crafts for more instructions and to have a go at doing new things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true about the hat:
    You can't make them wear gloves or hat or coat if they really don't want to - never mind what anyone else thinks they should be wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you've all been having a great time.

    So with you on the Dartmoor love, and those photos are absolutely stunning - it is just so beautiful in every season up there. We can't get enough of it (well, probably the kids don't feel the same) but I am never happier than with the moor infront of me, a nice picnic and a good walk planned. Just does something for my soul, and fills me with such bliss. We'll be hoping to get up there on Boxing Day - bit of a family tradition - certainly a good thing for blowing the cobwebs away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant blog. I've wanted to say that for a long time, but was too shy.

    Your cakes are wonderful, and your pictures are charming.

    Belated congratulations on your gorgeous baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have finally sent you something for Taisia!

    We've moved blog address and are now at:
    http://graceintheordinary.blogspot.com

    Hugs San x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry have not been to your blog for a while, I am now finally blogging after months and months of neglecting my poor blog :(

    I love the photos, you are very talented, they look so beautiful. Will be checking in on your blog a bit more often now :)

    ReplyDelete