Tuesday, January 04, 2011

2011, the year in which I...

I'm not going to make any resolutions this year.  I have made a handful of resolutions at the beginning of each new year for as long as I can remember, and I've failed to keep them every year for as long as I can remember. So this year I'm thinking of aims, ideas, and goals, and staying well clear of the word resolution as that sounds so grown up and serious.

So, here is my list.  I'm sure it will be added to throughout the year...

In 2011 I am going to...
(in no particular order)
  1. Take the children to London.  I have never been to London with the children.  I want to do this early-ish in the year if possible, but when the weather is starting to get a little milder.
  2. I'm determined to get a 'business' up and running, just enough to gain a little bit of pocket money.  At the time of writing this, I have so many ideas buzzing around my little pea-sized brain.  I've added needle felting to my list of crafting loves now, and I am thinking of making some 'educational' like items using my crafting skills and techniques.  More to come on this at a later date.
  3. Do more with this blog - I'm thinking more reviews, giveaways, recommendations, project ideas, craft inspiration etc.
  4. Go camping with some home-edders!
  5. Develop my Classroom Free website.  I get three or four emails a week from people saying that the site and this blog has been an inspiration to them.  I need to appreciate that and continue to add to them both.
  6. Progress further with my photography skills.
  7. Keep in touch with friends better.  I must start replying to phone calls, emails, comments, text messages etc quickly - I'm useless at that.  I want to get organised and set aside a little time each day to reply to what is necessary.
  8. Organise my day better.  Not so much time spent doing nothing important online, more time just playing games with the kids and crafting.
  9. Keep on with the financial budgeting and cook from scratch routine.  I'm so proud of our achievements in 2010 regarding our money situation, healthier eating, cake making etc. 
  10. Learn to make clothes - or at least learn how to sew a bit better :)
  11. Find someone who can teach me how to crochet.  I think that is an impossible task, but I'm sure there is someone out there who likes a challenge and is brave enough to take it on...
  12. Raise the profile of Home-Education.  I would love home-ed to be a "normal" choice - a well-known choice that doesn't receive raised-eyebrow responses when mentioned.  I know that may be a tad unrealistic, but we've got to take those baby steps before giant leaps can be successful :)  In 2011 I'm going to do all I can to provide positive exposure for the home-ed lifestyle.
  13. Work hard to ensure that each of my children know for sure that they are loved, respected, admired, and needed every single day - even on our not so good ones... (I've highlighted that as it's one I need to remember and reflect on).
  14. Spend at least an hour each day outside, whatever the weather (well, apart from in dangerous conditions - I don't fancy trying to keep 5 children and myself upright on a layer of ice.  Would probably be entertaining to watch though...)
There are a few things I would like to do for our "home-ed" in 2011 too...
  • Raise the caterpillars into butterflies again, but this time being super efficient with the camera and ensure DAILY photos and record keeping. I've ordered both a worm "farm" and an ant one too (cheap in the sale) - can you see a theme developing here...?
  • Get out and about more, with friends as just as a family.  Last year was heavily taken over by pregnancy and newborn baby - plus Lee's job situation.  This year I'm focusing firmly on us being happy and enjoying our days :)
  • Keep a nature journal, updated regularly throughout the year.  A way for us to reflect on the seasons, review what we have seen, and really start to treasure all that is around us.
  • Make full use of our new microscope.  In fact, I really like to do more science stuff this year.
  • Create Art, lots of deliciously mouth-watering art :)
must go and do dinner, will be back later after more thinking time...

4 comments:

  1. Great goals for the year Julia.

    You mentioned you would like to do reviews, check out www.booksneeze.com they send you free books to read and ask that you write a review on your blog.

    It does take a couple weeks for the book to arrive, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila1:11 pm

    Wow! Lots of great ideas-you'll be busy ;-) We did the caterpillars last year too and amazingly I did manage to take a photo every day (I only have 1 child though!). It's definitely something I would like to do again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a long but fantastic list. I look forwards to following your progress! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list of goals and ideas are great and I have every confidence you will fulfill most, if not all, of them. As the world's worst procrastinator I'm good at list making - it's following through I have difficulty with LOL! I haven't made any resolutions for a long time now because as soon as I do then I'm destined to fail. This year I'm going to follow a concept I read about recently where you choose a "Word For The Year",(or words), and apply it to your daily life whenever possible. Hopefully this will be much more achievable for me. Thing is I haven't decided on a word yet LOL! Stuck between Tolerance and Positivity - maybe I'll be greedy and just have both so I can alternate. Anyway ... will have to fly for now as Naomi is bowling tonight. Hope to 'speak' to you soon.

    Luv'n'Stuff
    Max
    xx
    Max's Craft Creations
    Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

    ReplyDelete