Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I'm going to google...

We have had a good day.  In fact, all things considered, we have had a great day.  We just had a day at home, nothing special, but we had great discussions and I always love to hear my children's perception of life and the world around them.

Callum ventured downstairs at 8am and the very first thing out of his mouth was this announcement.

"I'm going to do a google search today to see if Ogres are real."

Great :)

The day that followed was then filled with wii playing (we have four controllers now so all of the older children can play together, oh the giggles!), card games, role playing in the garden (not sure what the roles were, all I know is they involved waving around big sticks, and were something to do with an 18 year old Yoda and a Luke Skywalker with purple hair).  Chelsea also baked a delicious coconut cake, Tiegan did more sewing, Taisia explored the washing machine...

Washing Machine

Books were read, paintings were, well erm, painted, documentaries were watched.  Ancient Egypt, Colossal Squid, and a programme about where human hair extensions come from just in case you were enough of the curious mind to wonder.

Joseph did some sort of gravity defying experiment in the garden...


Can you just picture in your mind, a 13 year old boy twizzling around like a fun-filled loony on a rotary washing line?  Are you giggling yet?

I think a very valuable lesson was learnt ;o)

Our caterpillars arrived for our annual butterfly project.  On day one our new to our family little fellas look like this....

Butterfly Project - Day 1

There will be daily photos of their rapid growth, it still amazes me every year!

Tonight I watched the film Philadelphia with the older ones which certainly opened up a whole variety of topics for discussion as I'm sure you can imagine.  I do love listening to their points of view on important issues, it can be really eye-opening sometimes and their depth of understanding often surpasses my expectations.  The kids did good!

Right, I've got a few things to share with you before I leave.

Firstly, if you are a member of Flickr, please consider joining the new Classroom Free Home-Education group and post some of your fab home-ed photos from time to time.  I'm trying to get the word out that not all home-edders do the stereo-typical school at home method as the media often tries to portray.

Secondly, I've set up a Facebook page for Classroom Free.  I'm in the middle of overhauling the main Classroom Free website to be of use to national home-educators and not just local.  I get so many enquiries through the week asking about home-education that obviously the site is being found by those outside my local region, so hopefully they will find the website to be of more use.  I will also be adding some positive / respectful parenting articles and the like.  The Facebook page is a way of being able to be more interactive with my readers, I can post links there with ease, and it's another way of getting home-education "out there" as it were, I'm still hearing "Is that a legal option?!" far too often for my liking.

You can find the Classroom Free Facebook Page by clicking here:  Classroom Free on Facebook.

Thirdly, I've set up a Classroom Free Youtube channel and will be posting videos about our home-education lifestyle.  Your support will be very much welcomed over there, I will post linkies as soon as there is something interesting to view!

Thank you ever so muchly, you really are a wonderful bunch of people ya know!

Right, I'm off in search of Ogres....

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Our washing line ended up in the same state last year ... apparently Thomas was hang-gliding. 'I knew it was going to be a naughty thing to do, but sometimes I get taken away with an idea and I just have to try it even if it's a bad thing and I might get tangled up in a washing line' lol

    ReplyDelete