Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Oooh, have I got news for you?!

Err, the answer to that would be no - but I didn't think it was quite an eye-catching and intriguing title line!

I know I've been AWOL here in blogland, but that will now change once more as our home-education lifestyle is stepped up a gear once more.  It appears that although we don't officially go on strike have a holiday break from home-ed, we do tend to slow right down to almost stopping point during the long summer hols.

I think it has something to do with the schools breaking up and the thought of doing anything relating to "schoolwork" of any sort just doesn't sit well.  Holiday season here in Devon is, as you can imagine, far from quiet.  Apart from a few days out, we tend to stay at home away from the crowds and heavy traffic and do our own thing.  That coupled with this draining illness thing that has been dragging on and on, and I haven't much felt up to blogging.

Enthusiasm for our home-education seems to really peak for me at this time of year.  I feel as if it's a fresh start, new beginnings.  I guess it's all to do with the back to school hype in the media and in the streets.  I get sad at the amount of relieved mums who are "rid" of their children, and smile at the thought of sharing so many special moments with mine.  On the plus side, it's the time of year when I get the most enquiries about home-ed from parents who have witnessed a change in their children once out of school for a few weeks.

At this time of year I find myself searching the internet for inspiration and planning. Although we largely rely on following the children's interests when it comes to how we spend our days, I do like to pretend I'm ever so efficient and organised.  I don't know why I do it.  I don't know why I sit up until the wee small hours of the morning writing and typing up lists and routines.  Within a few days they end up in the bin and forgotten amount.

This year I would really like a back up plan B though in case of emergency.

I have seen over the school summer holiday break just how easy it is to waste days.  How simple it is to switch the computer on in the morning and still find ourselves using it late afternoon.  It takes little effort for the hours to whizz by, and I was quite shocked at just how much time was "wasted".  That's why I like to plan something to offer.  Nothing rigid.  Nothing set in stone.  Just an outline of a couple of things we may like to do that day.  If the children have other ideas, they are warmly welcomed.  If they don't, then maybe we can attempt a new recipe, do a different science experiment, find a new park, try a new craft, etc.

No more "wasted" days.

Quiet, restful, peaceful days are still welcome :)

So, a new start deserves a new look don't you think?

So, what else could I change other than my hair.  And it's a BIG change!  Pink.  VERY pink.



I kinda love it :)

So, what have we done today to get back into the ol' routine?

We have had a GREAT day!

This morning we headed off to Torquay Museum with the home-ed group.  It was great, easy to organise, great staff members, fab exhibits.

Photography wasn't allowed in the Secret Egypt temporary exhibition, nor the Agatha Christie one due to the items being on loan by the museum, but I was able to take a few pics of the other things on display.  I do apologise for their quality though, steady shots are near on impossible when you have a wriggly 10 month old sling rider trying to get a closer look (bite) of the camera (and if I need another excuse, the lighting was pretty bad for photography).











Tiegan was pleased to get a certificate after completing a quiz with a friend.

We spent a good few hours at the museum, before heading over to the park to spend a short half hour with friends.  Unfortunately the weather wasn't feeling too generous at that time and the rain started along with the wind picking up.

So we soon set out for home and decided to do some baking.  




I have to admit the jammy biscuits were scrumptiously yummy, very quick and easy to make, and cheap too!

Whilst they were in the oven we revisited Sir Bruce Cluckalot.  Ol' Brucy has been residing in our shed for a long time, soaking in salt (renewed almost weekly) to dry up his juices.  Today though he got treated to a new outfit.  The very best toilet roll money can buy no less!

Joe was prepared...






Sir Bruce is now resting in peace and there he shall remain there for another week.

A quick vegetable stir fry with noodles for dinner (yum yum yum!) followed by scones with jam and clotted cream for dessert, and life just doesn't get much better than this!

I wonder what we shall get up to tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Hiya pinky mama. Love your new hairdo :-) We've discovered a really cool activity that I thought I'd pass on! Basically a door in our lounge came off it's hinges and being lazy, has stayed like that for about three months!!! Hahaha. Then I was looking at easy weaving loom ideas the other day, I saw one which you can do on a cupboard door or indeed an entire door! So we strung it up and we're going to spend the autumn/winter doing a bit here and a bit there until we have ourselves a full-sized rag rug! Check out my blog for the link :-)

    ReplyDelete