Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sharing our Sunday...

I am really enjoying being back into the rhythm of blogging again, and am secretly (well, not so secretly now!) pleased with myself for being able to keep up with it daily, which was always the plan.

The weather here in Devon has been utterly beautiful today.  The sky has been pure blue and the sunshine has shone brightly - there was definitely a taster of Spring in the air.  The change in weather always seems to lighten people's moods and put smiles on many faces.  I got told that I looked beautiful today (yes, me!), by an elderly lady walking her Springer.  She said that the purple hair was really pretty on me.  How nice to receive compliments from strangers.

With a sky like this above your head, how could you not smile?



Our morning started with me admiring the view whilst both the Teens got ready to meet their friends and go to Church.  They have another girl going along to the morning service with them today, so it seems they are building up quite a teenage contingent there.  Chelsea has said I would be most welcome to go along with them one Sunday as she is sure it is a church I will like the feel of.  I used to go regularly (weekly) to a church in Exeter when we lived a little nearer and very much enjoyed feeling part of it.  I'm afraid my church attendance fell by the wayside when we moved here and I needed to search out a new one due to financial travelling constraints.  I have been assured that Taisia will be made to feel most welcome, and she is free to walk around and dance along without anyone making a fuss.  That's important.  Taisia can't hear a piece of music without bopping!

Maybe next week we shall give it a go.

Once the teens were safely dropped off, I headed for home, stopping on the way to replenish our garden bird food supplies.  Unfortunately our bird feeder station just isn't being used in it's current position, which I'd chosen for the good view from our lounge window.  The birds are protesting and staying within their little corner of the garden, obviously sticking to the area they feel the safest.  So today I waved the white flag and moved the feeder, figuring it may as well be moved and get used.  Tiegan helped me to clean it and restock with birdy goodies...


Now we just have to see if the birds forgive our stupidity and start to use it.

Whilst we were busying ourselves with caring for our feathered friends, Taisia explored the garden...


Walking on the stones is a tricky business you know!


Kira loved having us all outside in the sunshine with her.  She needs her ears and legs trimmed again.  The end of her ears are starting to matt as they get dragged through all sorts - mud, food, water, brambles, etc.  I'll pop that job on the to-do list for the coming week.

Callum and Tiegan have moved on to the next stage of their seed planting set, this time watching how the peat tablet absorbs water and expands...


Then planting a seed within it, this one was a pea seed...


I hope to take a series of photos and measurements as (if) it grows.

As Taisia slept, and Tiegan and Callum played on the Wii console, I started to put together our Nature Journal.  I've decided to just keep it in a normal binder.  I chose this one...


I thought the patterned design was quite appropriate for a Nature Journal.  It is from Wilkinsons and would have been ever so cheap - I think it was around £1.30.

The front cover looks like this...


(Great quality glitter card available from Yellow Moon Crafts)

And the inside pages like this...




The journal is a little different to ones we've attempted in the past.  I'm not hoping for lots of record keeping - although I am going to buy a garden thermometer asap so that might factor as some record keeping.  I am going to try to take a photograph of the sky each day, but I'm not going to be strict and regimented as that takes away all the fun.  The aim is that the children will be able to look through and see how various things change throughout the seasons and learn a bit about identification processes, but above all else, enjoy time out of the house or creating with nature.  The plan is that the children will add to it when they feel they want to - maybe a bit of writing or a drawing, maybe an item they have found or a photograph of something they found interesting. We will journal where we have been and what we witnessed/heard/done, recording basic weather details.  Things that we grow in the garden will be added, as will birds we have seen using the feeder or insects we have found, that sort of thing. I'm sure you get the idea, it's certainly not a unique one. Kind of a cross between a diary and a recorded study, done just for fun.

Tomorrow we have home-ed group in the morning, then home to...???

No comments:

Post a Comment