Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Carrying on...

We have been busily researching our dream and making plans for the future.  The atmosphere in the household is buzzing, full of excitement.  I don't think I have ever seen my children so enthusiastic before - even Tiegan, the quietest of the bunch , is chattering seemingly constantly about ponies, chickens, camping out, and animal tracking.

Joseph (14) has been talking about making flower pots and window boxes out of wood to sell, Chelsea has been talking about horses, horses, and horses, whilst Callum has just been asking when we are going to move.

We are still hunting for that dream opportunity.  We have heard about one possible house with land through a lovely lady who took the time to answer my zillion questions, but it appears a little more complicated than it first appeared.  My fault for not asking the right questions!  However, we do rather like the look of the area around that property after doing a lot of research so will continue to look around there if nothing comes of this one - BUT we are still open to moving anywhere - even Scotland has been mentioned.   I am handing things over to the Universe and I know that what will be will be.  We shall continue on with the vision, continue with the pleas and website searching,  and carry on with the clear out and fund raising to ensure that when the time is right we can go ahead without struggle.

I've been overwhelmed with emails sending messages of support from people - the majority of which belong to the home-education community, but even a few from complete strangers who have just stumbled upon the plea by accident or heard of it through the grapevine.  So many people have mentioned that it is their dream too - indeed it has got me thinking about starting a website about our journey so we can record what we do, how we did it, and how things develop.  I'd also like to include links to websites and resources we have found useful as it takes some bloomin' searching for a newbie like me.

My husband celebrated his birthday today and I feel a bit sad that we didn't get to celebrate it for him as much as we usually do.  We were meant to be going out for a meal (we have a cheap eating place across the road from us, on a Tuesday kids eat for a £1), but we were ever so good, I mean ever so ever so good and we had a home-cooked meal instead.  Disappointing for us all but it will be sooooo worth it when we see our savings grow and that dream taking a step closer.  Fortunately the weather was dry, even pretending to be sunny at times, so we took a long stroll up to our nearest woodland walk and explored.

We had a fabulous time, picking and eating the ripe blackberries as we strolled, playing with the dog, and nattering.

There were butterflies in abundance...




Thoughtful moments of pondering...


Logs to be lifted...



examined...


and sat upon...




There were dogs to entertain...


and clearly make very happy...


Paths and woodland to explore...





Bubba's to carry...


Fires to make...


Beautiful nature to coo over...



and time to daydream - lots of time to daydream....


I love to sit and watch the children and our spaniel Kira enjoying the space and freedom such places provide.

It makes me desperately yearn for our dream even more, urging me on to work harder to achieve.

I watched as Taisia stopped to examine every little thing that caught her eye as she passed.  She is so observant and sees beauty and interest in so much that I miss.  She will bend down to look under hedges, and take the time to peer around trees.  She will closely examine leaves, look up to the sky and treetops, and smell the flowers - "Oooooh, lovely" she will say.  She takes note of the sounds - just today she asked about the church bell ringing and the clock tower chiming, she heard aeroplanes, birds, and distant dogs barking and commented on each.

I'm really starting to hate these four walls.  I'm starting to be disappointed when we reach home after time out exploring.  Yes we have a garden - a large garden in comparison to many at the moment and of course I'm grateful,  but that space may soon to be built on and lost.  The children spend a lot of time out there, but it's limiting and we are limited as to what we can do with it.  I want chickens, but won't buy any until we are settled somewhere new.  I want to build a willow 'house' with the children.  I want to see rope swings hanging from trees and hidden dens all over.  I want to be able to open my door and step out into freedom - not have to check 100 times a day that the gate is closed and be wary of one of the busiest roads in Devon (seriously, we live next to a constant stream of busy traffic congestion).  I want to spend hours toiling away on the land, sweating as I dig over veg plots and discuss with the children next years crop.  I don't want noise, nor do I want the confinement of town living any more.  I want to get back to the rural life again - with all it's pro's, con's and difficulties.  I don't want the children's space to be taken and shrunk to a quarter of its size and have to 'make do' any more.  I am yearning for change.  We will make that change happen, if not this year then definitely next.

In other news (gosh, I'm so boring at the moment going on and on about changes and dreams!), Chelsea made a cake.  A delicious lemon sugar cake and it really was yum.  We ate it with blueberries, raspberries and grapes topped with ice-cream after dinner.

Callum has discovered Mr Men and Dr Seuss Books and they are actually encouraging him to read words so I'm happy.  More than once today I have heard a little voice reading out loud from behind Hop on Pop.  Taisia meanwhile is going through a massive Gruffalo love stage again.  We are reading and re-reading the book and watching the DVD over and over.   Joseph is still self-teaching himself the guitar.  He played a fab rendition of Happy Birthday for Lee today, it was great!  I'm so pleased that we bought the guitar for him and gave him the opportunity to find such joy.

Tomorrow I intend on baking - bread for sure, then banana and raisin flapjacks, then... not sure yet.  We've also got an errand or three to run.  We will be trying the car for the first time since Friday so wish us luck.  Lee has fiddled a little with various engine bits and cleaned what was necessary, we just have to see how she goes and start replacing parts bit by bit,  We were quoted a minimum of £150, so anything less will be a relief whilst we are doing this whole saving money malarkey.

Right now meanwhile, I'm off to get my needlefelting gear out.  Not sure what I will be making, but if it's good enough to sell I'll be selling it for the "dream come true" fund.

In the meantime, I shall leave you with this ...


Now you can make your own wish and see your own dreams come true.

3 comments:

  1. so lovely to see someone making positive steps to achieve their goals! I have the same dream but my partner is a techy chap and gets board in nature (how?????) So we live in a tiny village with fields all around but our personal plot is small. it's a compromise i guess. But i did find out a couple of weeks ago that he would like to live on a boat...... so something might change at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try approaching the Church Commission in Devon as they own hundreds of old properties and often let them for hardly anything as they are run down and need repair, we rented a cottage years ago, it was wonderful. PS you will get want you want. I wanted to move to Italy and write and garden. We moved five years ago with no money and lots of energy. Life is great I work as a gardener and writer and it has been long and hard but well worth it, dream big and live well xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you every luck with your dream Julia...we had a similar one a few years ago and after taking a lot of chances we're finally where we want to be. I'll keep a look out for you! Carly xxx

    ReplyDelete