Monday, October 08, 2012

It's all systems go!!!

Well, I finally feel able to share our amazing news.

I have spent days keeping my cake-hole firmly zipped, desperately wanting to blurt out to the world what wonders are soon to be bestowed upon us.  I needed to be absolutely a trillion percent certain that it was really going to happen and I wasn't going to end up with a face smothered in yellow yokey stuff.

So here goes...

***Drum roll please***

We are moving house!!!

Yes, we have been fortunate enough to meet with a very special family who are paving the way for our dream life to come true.  As a bonus, it is still remaining in Devon - but Mid-Devon so it is still a completely new area to explore and new friends are needing to be made (whilst old friends are still very much able to visit).  I'm still quite in a state of shock if I'm honest, going through the motions but not really believing what is about to happen.

When I say... *about* ... to happen, I mean, about to happen very soon.  How soon?  Are you sitting down?  How about Saturday?  Yes, this Saturday.  Saturday 13th October, 2012.  

*Gulp*

It really is the most fantastic place.  A dream house AND the land we have longed for.  The house itself has a kitchen / diner which is what I have yearned for for so long - I really think it adds something to a family home to have a nice family friendly kitchen area.  I just know I will spend far more time cooking and baking knowing that I'm not cut off from the rest of the crew which is how it feels in this place.  There is a large living area, 3 bedrooms on the second floor, and the most amazing attic room I have truly ever seen.  I just love everything about the house, from the deliciously scrumptious front door (I will have to take a picture so you will see for yourselves what I mean), to the fabulously chunky wooden window sills - screaming out for quirky nik naks and seasonal displays.  

Outside there is just under one acre of land.  There are numerous outbuildings including a garage/workshop, shed, greenhouse, stable, pig house and chicken coops.  The outside space needs a lot of work but we are so excited about the challenge that awaits us and really can't wait to start on the whole new chapter of our lives.  All being well, and finances allowing, there may be the option to rent a further 5 acres of land just a short way away, but we shall see how we manage with what we have first.  It will be all too easy to jump in at the deep end, get completely overwhelmed and exhausted with it all, and give up.  I am adamant that that is not going to happen so am trying to curb my overflowing bubbling enthusiasm and remember that taking small baby steps is a far more sensible option. 

Baby steps with monstrous amounts of enthusiasm, that is what it will have to be. 

So, from this Saturday onwards our lives will change.  I will be struggling with learning how to cook using a Rayburn, spending a great deal of time outdside in my own blissful corner of the land, and getting the indoors mightily ship shape and homely.  

I want to simplify things.   

More home cooking and baking, less processed foods.  I want to be more financially astute, spending the minimum and gaining the maximum.  I want to barter, swap, and skill exchange.  I want to become as self-sufficient as possible food wise; growing our own fruit and veg, keeping goats for milk and cheese and chickens for eggs.  Less screen time and more sweating buckets to live the dream time. 

I can't wait.

Things will be quiet in blog land and on the Classroom Free website as we can't have the phone or internet connected until October 30th.    Rest assured I shall be taking plenty of photographs and will be keeping a progress record via before and after exhibits.  

*Squeal*  It really is happening isn't it? *Pinches herself just one more time...*

23 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Just wonderful, I'm so happy for you all and what a bonus that, you'll be staying on "familiar" territory.

    Looking forward to pictures and the whole story on how this place came to be within your grasp, after all dreams like this one don't come around too often!!

    Hugs San xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, it's all been a bit of a whirlwind and such a rollercoaster ride! I will be blogging all about the journey, and how we went about achieving what we were hoping for in a long introduction post around the 30th when back online. I'll be able to show oodles of pictures then :)
      Hope you are all well, must have a catch up natter at some point xx

      Delete
  2. woooooohooooooooooo!!! So excited for you all! Fingers crossed for a smooth moving process... I look forward to seeing lots of pictures once you're in & settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz, I really appreciate your excitement - my own household is buzzing! xx

      Delete
  3. Absolutely fab news :) looking forward to all the photos once you are settled in, hope the move goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes, we are certainly in for a busy few days packing and unpacking, then the real work will begin!xxx

      Delete
  4. wow it's all happening! not the house in wales then ? looking forward to seeing pictures :-) Huge congratulations xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house in Wales was gorgeous Dawny but too small for all of us lot. Definitely would have had no room for visitors which would have made it feel a lot more isolating for both me and the teens. There are piccies on Facebook m'dear xxx

      Delete
  5. oooooo how exciting! hard and frustrating at times I expect, but exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very exciting and tiring times! I feel shattered but know it will all be worth it - busy days packing and unpacking, then the real work begins on the land. Phew, tired just thinking about that, but it's a fabulous place and the challenge is going to be full of rewards. We can't wait to get stuck in. xxx

      Delete
  6. Yay yay yay for you all :-) truly hole our is everything you want it to be. And remember..baby steps ! Have fun !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy for you all - I feel like its happening to me!!!!
    Best wishes for the move. Makes me realise I should keep on having dreams.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jules!!! I'm so happy for you all. Can't wait to see and hear all about it. We have friends who we try and visit each summer in mid-Devon who are also on a farm. Next time we are in that neck of the woods maybe we can finally meet up after all these years! - and yes, I do still read your blog all the time in Google reader - sorry I don't comment much. :( Praying all goes smoothly for the move. Blessings - Deedee

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow, sounds like a dream come true....wishing you all well in your move and in your new adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Julia,

    I would love to know how you managed to achieve you dream as we share the very same dream and at times it seems such an impossible dream. Who would have thought that living the simple life would be so complicated.

    Any way well done and I can't wait to see pictures.

    Best wishes xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Julia,

    It must be such an amazing feeling.

    I would love to see pictures and also know how you managed to make your dream a reality as we have the exact same dream, and at times it seems such an impossible dream.
    Who knew the simple life would be so complicated.

    Any way well done and best of luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic news :) look forwards to you being reconnected after the move so we can keep up with your adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,just hopping around the blogring and saying hello.

    This is so exciting, cant wait to see photos and read all about your new home. Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  14. VERY exciting! I hope the move goes well and I'll look forward to stopping by in early Nov to see how things are shaping up :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pleased for you all, very exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopping round the blog ring - this sounds so exciting! Eagerly awaiting you're return to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so exciting! Can't wait to see all the pictures and posts that will be coming our way. Hope all goes well with the move.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete