Sunday, March 17, 2013

Thought it time for a catch up...

There has been so much going on here in the Pollard household that every day seems to have become quite a blurry whizzy scrambled all-in-one mess.

I won't even begin to try to recap everything here in this posting, but I will pick out a few of the highlights and things that made me smile, and share some pictures with you faithful friends.

We have of course had plenty of at home days.  Up until Saturday we were car-less and having to make do with staying very close to home.  It is over 4 miles to the nearest bus route and the train station is very much further.  Thank goodness that supermarkets deliver nowadays, I am not sure how we would have managed if they didn't.

Of course, being at home is pretty darn fun when you share that home with animals.  The chickens are now laying daily, we are averaging 2 eggs a day from 3 chickens thus far.  I took a picture of the gorgeous Betsy-May earlier on in the week and thought she is looking pretty darn fine...


We have had plenty of wet and yucky days here in Devon weather-wise.  There were a couple of nicer dryer days in the mix though and the children have enjoyed filling their lungs with the true fresh air of the countryside.   I went out one day to see what they were getting up to and found that Joseph had raided his father's tool chest and was building Callum a sword from scrap wood...


Bless his heart.

The goat kids are growing rapidly and looking really healthy.  They have oodles of personality and are a real joy to have around the place.  Their antics have us laughing so often, you just can't have a bad mood day when they are let loose!  In sadder news our newly hatched chick Squidget died at the age of 3 days.  In all honesty he didn't ever seem at full health and I guess being a lone chick with no others around (no other eggs hatched of that batch), didn't help his sorry state.  On the night of his passing I tucked him into my top after making a make shift 'sling' out of a bandanna.  He took a bit of water fed from a syringe feeder and I managed to get a bit of wet chick feed down him, but not enough.  He chirped to me for a little while, sounding happier actually in the warmth against my skin, but he went to sleep and didn't wake up.  The children were, of course, devastated but they are fast learning that this is what animal raising and country living is about - the good days and the bad, the laughter and the heartache.  We wouldn't swap it for the world but boy it can be tough.  I had to continually tell myself that I really did try everything I could do and at least he passed knowing he was loved.  His life was just too short.

I guess one of the most brilliant smile-raisers to have occurred for the Pollards this week is that we have been able to purchase a new (old but new to us) car.  I am totally in love with my new 'baby'.

She is a 2.8 V6 Galaxy and she joined our family on Saturday.  That was a little nerve-wracking for me as it was down to me to drive her home alone and she is an Automatic.  I passed my test in a Manual car and have driven one for almost 10 years.  I really didn't see myself liking the Auto experience if I'm honest as I'm a great fan of driving and I do like having the control over the gears.  However, being a little desperate to find a car before our charity abseil next weekend (£218.50 raised for the Marie Curie Cancer Care thus far, thank you lovelies!), we started looking at those with Automatic gearboxes.



Actually, this shiny silver gal has a semi-auto gearbox and I love driving her very much.  I adapted to driving an Auto within 10 minutes and was confident with being behind her wheel almost immediately.  I have rediscovered my love of driving and can't wait to be out visiting our lovely local area and visiting friends and Home-Ed groups once more.

Today we made the most of having a 7 seater vehicle that could fit us all in (finally!) and went out as a family.  We struggled to think of somewhere to go.  The criteria for our day out had to be free or cheap entry, an indoor space in case of wet or freezing weather, not too far so fuel cost didn't cripple us, and something that fitted the fun but (shhhhh) educational bracket.  Luckily for us we are still members of the National Trust so a quick search of their website sent us in the direction of Dunster Castle.


If you ever have the chance to visit Dunster in Somerset, I recommend that you do so.  The place is stunning.  The properties are full of character and the whole village screams a wealth of historic buildings and atmosphere.  I often think that photographs do a better job at describing a place than my words ever could, so here goes...


Situated within such an outstanding area, who could fail to be amazed at breathtaking views such as these...



and the interior matches the views I think, every room screams luxury and beauty.  The word 'wow' was heard on more than once occasion.



The grounds of Dunster Castle are outstanding.  Really really exquisitely beautiful.  The weather was very kind to us and almost had a Spring-like feel to the air.  We very much enjoyed exploring the gardens and many smiles were to be seen on child faces...




This little lady was so happy to be out on a family outing again that she broke into a twirly-whirly dance.


Even the oldest girlie couldn't suppress that beautiful smile...


Here are three of the five reading the love graffiti near the love seat....


We thought this bridge was just stunning.  Breathtaking.  We rather thought it resembled something out of a movie scene and imagined shows such as Merlin would be right at home here. 


We adored the natural playground that the National Trust are creating near the Water Mill...





But of course, anything is great for climbing on when you are a two year old, purpose built or not.


 As always, little miss independent was often one step ahead of us all.  Clearly she knew the way...


And finally, I shall leave you with the gorgeous gifts that nature herself sought to provide us with today on our wander...



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful
    Life you are crafting there. M took the kids to Dunster last year while I was at work and they all loved it - now ive seen these photos I'm even more jealous but def planning to go one weekend.

    Enjoy the new car xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures! Your kids are adorable! that bridge is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete