Thursday, January 01, 2015

THE FIRST OF THE MONTH…

The first of the year.
We saw the brand new year in at home, just us as a family (although not complete – Chelsea was elsewhere).  We had been invited to a neighbours ‘do’, but with various ills and issues we were feeling less than enthusiastic.  Instead we cooked goodies, watched TV (and sang along to the Queen songs), laughed a lot, and ate junk.   All of the children were still wide awake by Midnight, including Amara and Taisia – I truly don’t know where they gain their energy from.
We headed to bed around 2am feeling happy.  As I lay, wide awake, I listened.  Nothing.  Not a sound.  The exact opposite to what we had experienced at New Year in our old place.  There we had lived on a main road, by a bus stop, near a pub.  For hours we would hear the beeping of car horns, the banging of fists on the bus shelter, the shouting, the arguing, the car door slamming.  Although used to the constant traffic noise, it was the celebratory occasions I used to dread.  Even though it would be said that we resided in a ‘reasonably nice’ area, so often fighting couples could be heard or groups of abusive voices.  It wasn’t at all the life I wished for my children to experience.
Living here is so very different.
The quietness – as if the world is standing still.
Nothingness.
The darkness – deep blackness, only lit at cloudless times by the moon’s true beauty and the twinkling diamonds.
Occasionally we are treated to the hooting of nearby owls.  I often lie awake waiting, wanting, hoping to hear that majestic call.  To me it’s enchanting,  almost spiritual.  I don’t feel I shall ever tire of it.
With beautiful scenery and lovely quiet walks right outside our door, I really couldn’t ask for anything more.
beautiful
Our first day of 2015 was a quiet one, spent at home, relaxing and pottering around at our own free will.  Of course the chickens, ducks and geese needed releasing first thing, as did the goats – all had to be fed, watered and checked over.   The children spent time both indoors and out – they read, used the computer, built with lego, role played kitchen games, and put together puzzles.  We had a lovely roast dinner together as a family, followed by good old fashioned homemade bread pudding and custard – it was a lovely start to the New Year.  I was able to do a bit of in-head planning which I want to put down on paper when time allows.  I have so many ideas, so many things I want to do/make/go to/get started on, that I literally feel as if I’m practically bubbling inside with excitement.
I’m happy.  I have lots to look forward to.  Life is good.
I hope that you can say the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment